Monday, July 7, 2014

Entomology and 4-H

I want to interrupt my posts about the various insects I have found to tell you about some exciting events that have happened to me over the last few months.

I write this blog about insects, and I have not even told you about the main reason I started this interest of mine!  About ten years ago my sister came home begging my mom to go to a 4-H meeting.  One of the projects she tried that first year was Entomology…a project set up to teach youth how to identify insects and arachnids by their characteristics and determine if the insect is beneficial or harmful.  She HATED it but I LOVE it!!  So over the years I have gone to a lot of contests and placed well.  Most of all, I found the career field I hope to pursue in college and life.  

This last year my family moved and I had the joy of finding a new group of 4-Hers who have a great interest in insects.  We even set up a team (the first in my 4-H career) so we could practice together and go to contests.  Here are a few of the things we were able to accomplish over the year.

We met for regular practice once a month with Ms. Molly at the county extension office.  She did a great job of showing us the details about the insects we needed to learn.  I really appreciate her leadership in the 4-H program.  However, the best part about the entomology project in in Bexar County was learning about new opportunities.

The first thing I was able to do was assist at the Regional Entomological Society Conference.  They sponsor an Insect Expo to teach elementary students about insects.  I was able to help with the booth that taught about insect collecting.  I even had the chance to help the participants make their own aspirators.  This is a jar with two tubes.  By creating suction on one tube, you can suck insects into the jar.  I had to remind everyone to make sure you are sucking on the right tube or you will get a mouthful of wriggling insect!

Henry helped at another booth to show the movement of maggots using finger paint.  My younger brothers and sister were able to go around the other booths to learn with my Dad.  They had a booth to show arachnids and another booth about insect life cycle.  They also had the chance to eat some mill worms!  Yeah, I tried one too!


The best opportunity for my future was a trip to Texas A&M University.  I was able to go to a workshop at Texas A&M where I met some of the professors of the Entomology Department.  I learned about how to identify orders more easily.  We also looked at different specimens under a microscope.  One of the professors (Dr. Teel) and his graduate assistants helped teach us specific characteristics for each of the insect orders.  This was a great help for my 4-H contest and made me want to be an entomologist even more!  I cannot wait to go to college and find a way to use this information for a career.



The expo and the workshop really helped me prepare for the District 4-H contest.  I placed 5th in District, but my team finished 2nd, and that meant that we got to go on to State!  This is not the first time I have been to State, but it is the first time I was able to go as part of a team!  It was very exciting!  AS they were calling out the team placement and we began to realize that our team would be awarded first place, I turned to my mom and said, "Mom...I am so excited!  I think my heart is beating out of my chest!"

At the state competition, I placed in the Top Ten (8th place) but my team won First Place!  This is much better than the last time I went to State, that time I did not place at all.  I was also very proud of my friend Nick as he was awarded first place in the insect collection contest.

I am going to try to take 1st place team and individual next year!  AND...maybe I can convince my mom to let me have my own insect collection to enter into the contest.

I would also like to thank the business that sponsored our contest this year...Biz ZZ Bee (this was a San Antonio business) and Cypress Creek Pest Control out of Houston.

And, I would love to tell all the past instructor and 4-H leaders that I am thankful for them as well.  I would never have had this opportunity without them...specifically Mrs. Jones (who coordinated our meetings in Angelina County), Mr. Joe and Mr . Kevin who taught me all those years and were patient with all my questions, and my club managers Ms. Myra and Ms. Brenda who helped encourage me to do my best!


I will try to get back to my insect identifying next week!  I will show you my fun with lacewings!

No comments:

Post a Comment